Wednesday 12 August 2015

Southern Places & Faces

I would to thank all that have graciously given their time, and let me mooch around their premises with my camera, and capture the heart of what lies behind some prominent, well known, and long standing businesses in and around the New Forest, Christchurch, and Lymington.  The essence of what I was trying to achieve was made possible by the help of the businesses featured in this blog, and I am personally very grateful to you.

The idea behind this feature came from suggestions of friends who thought I could do a good job in writing about my local travels to places where I take my photos, so after having a think for a few weeks, I came up with an idea which combines the places I go for the photos, and also the places and people I see along the way on a regular basis.  It's not a long journey, in fact it's no more than 20 mile round trip of places that are worth visiting more than once, twice, or a hundred times.  The places with the faces that are inviting, and welcoming, and that's why I choose to go back to them, and in doing so, possibly encourage those reading this article to give them a visit too.


Burley-Villa School of Riding
http://www.burleyvilla.co.uk/


Burley-Villa School of Riding
Just got back from a hack in the forest
Friendly greeting at the reception

I've lost count of the amount of times I have driven by Burley-Villa, I have to drive by it on a daily basis to get to the New Forest, and in the school holidays it's common to see the line of holiday makers on horse back taking the Bashley Common Road to begin their trail rides.  However, this is more than just a place for those on vacation, this is a place where you can learn to ride a horse, or stable a horse, have a horse broken, or if you are a holiday maker...go out on a hack.

Spotted this one being nosy :-)
A good scratch after a good hack




Once you arrive at Burley-Villa, you immediately become part of a life that is gentle, fun, and where the horse is the star.  Most people that know me, know that I am nervous of the ponies of the New Forest, ironic given that the New Forest is full of ponies, but at Burley Villa, I had no reason to have any nerves at all.  These horses had sympathy for me, and also lots and lots of character.  For me to reach out and tickle one behind the ear just goes to show just how gentle, and how patient they are.

Nudged me for a nose tickle

At Burley-Villa, it's really noticeable that they care a lot for the horses, and also for their customers too.  They have recreated a ranch, and it's easy to see that they have thoroughly enjoyed putting together a touch of the wild west to New Milton.



"Come an' git it!!"







Someone is reliving a childhood dream, I can only imagine they must love coming to work at Burley-Villa, it has the feel that they are having a lot of fun recreating a time gone by.

Cooking the grits




Of course, Burley-Villa is all about the horses, and they are all just so charming, and have so much character.  It's evident that they are all very well cared for, and enjoy their life at Burley-Villa.


Getting ready to go out to the forest, and ride amongst the ponies.

I asked for a smile, and got one :-) 
I'm so glad I decided to drop in and see the horses, and the people of Burley-Villa, it's all too easy to drive by places that we see every day, and say "ooh I must go there", well this time I did, and after this first visit, I know I will be going back again.  So if you are coming down this way for a holiday, or a weekend trip, or even if you live around here, and have been meaning to go to Burley-Villa, take it from a local...go and see them, and treat yourself to their experience.  They do cater for all kinds of riders, from the absolute novice, to those with more experience.  Even corporate parties are welcome, so if you want to see your CEO bobbing around on horseback, now is your chance ;-) 

It's got charm, and it's close to the New Forest and is an ideal way to spend a few hours and come away with memories of a wonderful experience.  

Adorably cute, and cheeky.


Window to his soul



                                                 All the boys back in the coral for lunch.


They are all particularly fond of a tickle behind the ears.

...and so are they :-) 



Thank you so much to everyone, and to the horses of Burley-Villa, you are a friendly bunch, and I'm looking forward to visiting again very soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment